Wednesday 4 October 2006

Good things like Bailey.

My older sister Bailey is here. She flew in on Sunday and took over from PJ, who was drowning in the responsibilities that we had heaped on him.

Bailey is the oldest girl, and I am the youngest. Growing up we hated each other. I hated her because she got to do everything first, and she had independence. She hated me because I got the most attention. When she was supposed to babysit me she'd lock me in the closet and go out with her friends.

When we grew into adults and had our own children something changed and we found a common thread together. She has three teenagers who have just newly reached the independent stage and she's reveling in her own freedom once again. She jumped at the chance to fly out here and take care of us. And boy do I appreciate her doing it.

Last night she asked me if I needed anything. We had just finished dinner and I was helping as much as she would let me.

No, I'm okay, thanks, Bay.

You should really have some tea and sit down, Bridget.

I'm fine. I feel pretty good.

You should listen to me. You may be a grown up and all but you're still small enough to lock in the closet.


I could hear Jacob trying, but he failed miserably and broke out in a sob of laughter and it was the best sound in the whole world.