Wednesday 19 May 2021

Goldilocks and the three things (One too small: the mouse. One too big: The Devil. One just right: The redhead).

My bird cam (which is set in the big tea roses in the upper part of the garden on the woods side of the house) regularly catches a curious adolescent Spotted Towie and a bully Starling, three unique and habituated hummingbirds and a giant Northern Flicker is now a mouse cam.

We have a mouse. In the garden. Or maybe it's a rat. I don't know but it's small and it makes three trips a night across the garden and back. Every time we fill the hole we think it's using it finds a new one and this has been my entertainment this past week as my eye stops hurting and my skin heals, all the swelling slowly returns to normal and I finish out all these pills, which give me headaches. At least it's cool and raining today and I checked all the places and we learned where it goes and where it's coming from. Not sure we can do anything about it save for removing the water from the fountain and turning it off and taking down the bird feeders. I take them in every night anyway to usurp the bears and raccoons but apparently this critter might be attracted to the little bits of seeds and suet left behind. 

I felt well enough to organize Caleb's life a little, looking after picking up packages and having a look at his emails. He isn't all that dedicated and will just read things. He won't act on or file them away though and so I have to chase him down to find out what his plans are for each and every thing. I transfer all of his dividends to my account and check shipping, clean out some old files and then book him in with his barber and cardiologist. Pre-summer stuff. In exchange for three hours of admin-light he had to take over cleaning five bathrooms and making lunch. 

It's all done now. We had bagels with cottage cheese, dill and cucumber and fresh peach slices. He made a point of going to find Loch and bringing him back to make sure he had a decent lunch, as Lochlan is out in the yard sanding down every last sharp edge and thorny path in my life so that he can sleep at night. Apparently we have reverted somewhat and instead of calling it an accident and removing the hollow log so there will never be another surprise, Lochlan has gone full fearful parent and is demanding we cut back all of the flowers to minimize insects and maybe brick over more of the yard. Maybe the gazebo should be glassed in like the pool to have a safe waypoint in case it happens again. The points on the roof and eaves and doors and windows will be regularly sprayed now. Someone has to sweep the garage, stables and sauna before I can go in, oh, and I'm never allowed down to the beach again because God only knows what's under those steps but it's probably bad all the same. 

He will not listen to reason. 

He did however, stop at the pharmacy to pick up Matt's spanking new Epi-Pen, good for sixteen months, and got me a bag of Sweet Sixteen licorice tape (the absolute best) and that's how I know he's still in there. He isn't worried about my teeth, just my skin. So we're good, I guess?