Wednesday 21 December 2022

Spinning back toward reason.

If we're counting the days, we've made it to winter solstice. That means the days will soon be getting longer again, and didn't I get a hint of that this morning, as it seemed bright enough to open the window treatments on the main floor around seven this morning, and I don't think that has happened for a while. 

The boys went out to do a coffee run and we've spent the remainder of the day guessing singers from the Youtube Christmas station Google found for us and has been playing ever since. 

Bing Crosby? 

I think so. 

It's Gene Autry.

Wow. I was so off. What the fuck. 

If you knew Gene Autry by sound I would be surprised. He's a bit before your time. 

I didn't know Pentatonix either, if we're being truly honest. I did know Wham, Bruce Springsteen and John Lennon, played in a row and I half-expected Live Aid to round out the segment but then Mariah Carey came on and I realized there's no human plotting these playlists. I would do half-hour themes, mix old and new a little better than they are now and skip the annoying 'classics' that are repetitive and stale. I would mix in songs from other countries and more rare pieces and some classical, maybe some instrumental. I don't know, maybe that's just as flawed as what I'm listening to now, I suppose and we can't all agree on what's good and bad and that's why you can listen for going on ten days now without hearing the same song twice. 

I need to go light the candles and prepare the rituals. They are just rebirths in the starlight, fresh hymns for new seasons, taking deep breaths and exacting gratitude for everything we fought for, and everything we've kept.