Monday 6 April 2020

Coffee and corduroy.

When you reach the part where the heartaches come
The hero would be me
But heroes often fail
And you won't read that book again
Because the ending's just too hard to take
I was banned from taking my coffee down to the beach this morning, forced to drink it by the fire, where I sweat because suddenly the kitchen is so warm and I miss the beach so much. The steps get covered with a fine neck-breaker of frost, as Lochlan calls it and so the trip will be made for lunch, if anyone is actually free.

It's a very thick layer of white out there and when I let the dog out into the side garden it was really chilly indeed. Which is ironic as I want to garden so bad, since yesterday I noticed all of the larkspur and poppy I planted two years ago that failed miserably is suddenly growing like mad.

I want to plant things to grow, for when times are better. Hopefully soon but not until the earth remains warm overnight. I always try to rush things. It's barely April.

***

I may paint the property for you, since I'm not allowed to post photos and honestly you'll be hard-pressed to look at it and figure out where we live. You know the general neighborhood but the properties are pretty private so unless you approach from the water you wouldn't be able to find me at all. And I want to show you things so you can see exactly what I mean when I talk about different things.

***

I chose American Moon for our -suspicions- theme night yesterday. We made mystery foil packets of different foods and cooked them in shifts at the barbecue so no one would know what was what, played Risk and watched conspiracy movies. My foil packet was chicken and carrots, asparagus and tarragon, and I was so relieved as some of them were salmon and I would have had to trade.

No one likes to trade dinner. Boys just want to dig in so it would have gotten so ugly.

We've got a glass fishbowl on the counter and have filled it with folded slips of paper with random words and time periods on them (you add one as it comes to you) and are doing dinner-and-a-movie nights almost every night, as long as there are six or more people interested. Some nights we just disappear into our own selves so it depends.

American Moon was ridiculously informative, save for the parts about lighting on the set moon. That drove me batshit. The rest was good fun and now I'm a believer in disbelief. For today anyway. Tomorrow I will deny at gunpoint that I ever question the Apollo program because I will not debate that sort of thing in mixed company.

(But if you one hundred percent believe in things without even the tiniest seed of doubt I don't think I will ever let you in all the way. Why would I?)

(I feel the exact same way if you don't believe in magic even a little bit. Get out of my sight. Seriously.)

Today I am planning on finishing up laundry, painting a picture to send faraway, helping Sam with editing his Easter Sunday podcast, and then probably working on digital illustration for a while. I'm going to make penne with garlic and tomatoes for dinner.

And I'm listening to Gordon Lightfoot this morning, which has gotten a super-appreciative nod from every single boy to venture through the kitchen this morning. It's comforting. Like wrapping yourself in a brown corduroy and polyester couch, settling in to watch cartoons, a big bowl of Apple Jacks in your arms and a plan to go out and roller skate in the sun after real breakfast later with the boys down the street.

I guess I know what I'm really going to do today. 

*looks around, still laments the lack of a huge corduroy couch*

*shops online*

(Muhahahahahah)