Friday 6 June 2014

I never did come out. It was Caleb's day to pick up the kids from school and take them out shopping for summer gear and then for an early dinner so eventually my stomach started to growl, Jake disappeared and in his place stood Lochlan. I looked at his legs for a long time while he spent a few minutes putting away tools from working on the bikes next door and then eventually he walked away toward the door and I closed my eyes again.

When I opened them next he was sitting on the floor beside the door, his back against the wall. Knees bent and out lazily. He's holding a whole bag of pixi stix. Apparently that's how you call out a timid Bridget. With sugar.

Hi Baby, he says. What's up?

I shake my head. Can I have those?

If you come inside with me. 

Never mind, I say.

It's fine. We can stay out here. He nods.

I don't actually want to stay out here. He's gone. 

How is he?

I know he's dead. I'm not crazy you know. I just need..I gesture at the air. Time?  A place to just not have to be perfect all the time. 

No one thinks you're perfect. 

Well, that's good to know. 

But we do have something that will make you feel better tonight. 

What's that?

You have to leave the garage to find out. 

What if I don't? 

Then the opportunity will disappear for a while. It's getting fairly difficult to coordinate things such as this with so many people here. 

What does that even mean?

Well, Caleb has the kids downtown and everyone who isn't working or busy is heading out to dinner. The only people on the point tonight are us three musketeers. 

Is this something sordid? Like an x-rated surprise?

He laughed so loud. Naw, Peanut, but I still don't think you'd want an audience for it. 

Oh my God. Vanishing Point?

I told you, come out and see. 

Just then Ben sticks his head in the door. There you are. He grins and looks down at Loch. All ready. 

Ready for what? I ask. Because curiosity. It kills me.

Come and see. I promise, you're going to love it. Loch walks over to me and holds out his hand.