Sunday 10 June 2018

Our house, completed.

I was stuck for time yesterday and didn't get to finish. The reason I was telling you about the house and all the changes was because we hosted a (very) large dinner last evening to thank the architects and contractors and crew for their work, their discretion (haven't found any social media yet from the inside of my house or pictures of Ben at home online yet and somehow I don't think I will) and their patience with what was a multimonth project with a couple of starts and stops and a few tiny turf wars and a lot of hard feelings, soothed over with cooler heads and lots of money, as these things are.

We did a barbecue with salads to make it easy, though I'm sure all of the people who arrived were surprised at the lack of alcohol. Instead we had large pitchers of lemonade and iced tea. There was a giant chocolate cake that had THANK YOU written in white icing and all the chicken wings and ribs they could eat.

And they did and everyone was gone by nine. That's the best part. And we had everything cleaned up by eleven, mostly because both Ransom and Emmett stayed to clean, so I had time to make some tea and thank them both for the little touches. Like putting up yards and yards of pastel rainbow bunting, and multicolored fairy lights. For the tiny dumbwaiter system on the steps down to the beach so I don't have to try and navigate the steps with my hands full of seaglass treasures. For the nonslip treads on those stairs and the reinforced railings and pilings.

 For furnishing our balcony as a place we can actually use, with a large umbrella and comfortable chaises and a rug. And plants. And more lights.

There are never enough lights. 

For fixing all of the shelves in the library that were straining under the weight of all of our books and albums.

For fixing all of the broken, previously slammed doors.

For better locks. For biometric security, which is new but fun and is easier than changing locks constantly as people lose keys (later found in out of season jacket pockets or under beds). I like thumbprint scanning. It's a riot. Especially since mine hardly works since my fingers are always so dry, cracked and split.

For the smart home control that means when I walk into a room or closet or open a cupboard lights come on! But better yet, MUSIC PLAYS.

For the suggestion of Roombas. Which are hilarious but great. I spend half my  life vacuuming white carpets in the softer areas of the house. I won't be anymore. This little round thing will fire itself up at preconfigured times and do it for me.

For the larger laundry room, now with a second washer and dryer set.

For the beautiful bookcase built-ins and hand-built bible stand in Sam's room.

For the bars in the bathroom tubs and showers. Because safety first (and sex, second, though you know me, I'm not going to say safety first if sex is on the list, right?)

For everything.

Mostly for their patience with me as I refused to engage while also trying to run everything. Changing paint colors after the paint had been purchased (it's okay, I ate the cost and donated the paint). Refusing their attempts to be kind as I thought they were trying to be forward.

I can't imagine these kinds of jobs are easy ones, as you invade someone's home with the intent on improvement and you're battling safety in familiarity. You're battling comfort. You're fighting for change.

But as I said and continue to say, they were very well compensated for their efforts and we will have them back again as required for further updates or to fix more broken, previously slammed doors.

(They also quite discreetly reinforced the walls that seem to get the most abuse, aka boys thrown into which include the one at the top of the kitchen stairs and the front hall to the left of the door.)

They thanked us for the project. I'm pretty sure they can both retire now. Everything is finally signed off on. Everything is done. Caleb wrote the last cheque. The lawyers have read it all over and the value of the updates have put the house into a assessement bracket I never thought I would see in my lifetime. Pretty sure Lochlan was rendered speechless at the value talks and still I don't take a single nail, board or bunting string for granted, the same way I don't take any of my boys for granted.

I'm so glad it's finished.

It looks beautiful. Maybe I'll post some photos. Maybe not.