Wednesday 13 March 2013

Not waving but drowning.

Another day, another restaurant forcibly removes someone from the establishment after a table-clearing brawl. I picked up my glass and missed all the cues from what had been an almost civilized lunch thus far and the table came away from me as Lochlan threw himself at Caleb.

He finally found his outrage. I don't know if he was unfocused or distracted before. I think the shock of us moving twice in a week and then me taking the proposal (which still hasn't been explained in case you think I'm the harlot of the century here) left Loch a wee bit dazed.

Not today though. Today he gritted his teeth right through the food being served and then Caleb said something about again being glad I wasn't in my Converse All-Stars and BOOM.

I was going to ignore the comment, which was directed right at the one guy at the table who had All-Stars on. Green ones today. Allegiance to the Princess. He could only show more of a bent if they were pink.

Caleb has good reflexes and is six inches taller than Lochlan and probably thirty pounds heavier. He is in good condition. He won.

He was up out of his chair to meet the human cannonball and instead of blocking the punches he threw a few of his own and I yelled in alarm and five of the waiters ran over and pulled the boys apart.

And then the manager asked us to leave, that he would bill for the dishes.

Lochlan shook me off, heading out in a fast walk and I ran after him. Finally I caught up and made a grab for his arm. He spun around and threw himself into me, closing his arms around my back and rocked me in the middle of the sidewalk and asked me why in the hell I took the deal. We are 17 and 12 again. We need help and help isn't coming.

If I can't get rid of him I'm going to take everything he has. We are. You and me. Together. You know this. He pays, we win.

We didn't win, Bridgie.

Sure we did. Or we will, anyway.

He thinks he's a sanctioned third wheel now and I didn't sign up for that. 

Neither did I. 

BULLSHIT, Bridge, your conversation with him about the rules isn't fucking funny, it scares me! 

You were all for it when you saw the money. 

I can't do this. You won't survive it.

It's the only way to get to him, Loch. There's no other way.

Walk away. 

I'm not doing this with you. We're going in circles. Let me take his worth. Literally and then it will be figurative in the end. 

Walk away, Bridget. Or-

Or you will?

No. Fuck no. Never. 

Then help me here. Help me finish this. 

You're in over your head. So am I.

Yes but we're together over our heads! That's all I care about.

That's not enough. Not this time, Bridget. Remember? You're not a strong swimmer. And I'm so tired.