Thursday 31 January 2013

Brigadoon.

Today Daniel ventured a fun suggestion of having a lunch picnic on the roof in full Victorian costume.

I was all for it but then I was shot down because the rain is ceaseless and they didn't want me up there tripping around in a full-length velvet dress. Or Daniel with the top hat that works its way down over his eyes half the time, making him look drunk when he walks, because he can't see. Schuyler also took offence to the potential destruction of their wedding clothes in the process and that begat a huge endeavor to endear them all to the nuances of the Wreck the Dress movement and we forgot about making a trip to the roof.

(My wedding dresses are safe in the closet so that Ruth can either choose one when she gets married or eschew all of them and then I will wreck them with gusto. I just wanted to leave her some options first. So of course I'm a fan of WTD. Who wouldn't be?)

Lochlan refused to let me go to work today. He says no work-from-home mogul on earth needs an assistant present ten hours out of every day unless they are lonely. Then he said he was hungry. Then he started in on me for writing too close to the memories, shaving little pieces off, letting in too much light, stripping back layers he worked so hard to build up.

Jesus. Loch and his litanies. I tell you. He followed me around for half an hour. I had zoned right out, making lunch, gathering the other boys for food, etc. until he got to the part about being on the run.

What if we are? I asked, my eyes very wide, while chewing a bite of a ham sandwich as I sit, warm and dry, inside my kitchen instead of up on the roof.

Then I should have probably changed our names by now, for starters. He was very serious indeed.

Maybe we're hiding in plain sight! Doesn't that work best, anyway? Right under their noses?

Who's noses?

Umm...I don't know. The bad guys! 

What if we're the bad guys, Bridget?

Then we can pack heat, right?

What? No! Jesus. We're in enough trouble as it is. No killing. Now hurry up and eat. We have to get out of here.
He winks and takes a bite of his own sandwich. I don't budge. It's always far more fascinating when I can convince him to play along.

Daniel finishes faster than anyone. Can I come too?

Depends. What did you do? Lochlan asks him.

Um...I wore a coat yesterday that I shouldn't have. I was in a rush and I couldn't find my wool blazer...

And how is that bad? Lochlan is completely flummoxed.

Daniel rolls his eyes and sighs.  It was a light wool and I should have worn winter-weight.

Lochlan nods, eyes wide suddenly, matching mine, for I had stopped eating. It's not often Daniel goes full-on fashion diva and I can never really tell if he's joking or not. We look at each other and nod and Lochlan looks back at Daniel.

You're in.