Monday 4 June 2007

Best Monday.

Sorry for the lateness of today's entry, I'm having a hard time putting this sort of morning into words because I'm speechless again and it's all Jacob's fault. But oh, do I feel it, the love that he holds for me.

Remember how I told you he is good at planning things right under my nose?

Remember how I said he told me he wanted our life together to be unforgettable?

Remember how much I said I dreaded Mondays (and Wednesdays and Fridays and most days that end in Y) because I find therapy difficult, Joel difficult and the neverending quest for mediocrity completely unreachable?

I didn't tell you how deeply offended Jacob gets when I seek out 'boring' and 'average'. That's the last thing he wants and he's taken those wishes of mine and worn them personally as insults.

And while he wore them he planned the next phase in his quest to keep his King of Romance crown. Because the last thing we're going to have is a boring, average marriage. I think he missed the point of my wish but that's okay.

It's more than okay.

You're SO not ready for this. I wasn't ready. Hell, I'm still not ready.

This morning I endured therapy, after a promise offered from Jacob that if I wore my prettiest summer dress he would take me out for breakfast afterward. I endured Joel and his false cheer and his professional overt familiarity and his stupid imported decaf and his awful habit of addressing Jacob when I'm sitting right there and so I attempted repeatedly to just ignore Joel and talked to Claus instead, as if Joel wasn't even in the room. I was quickly found out and suitably chided for my usual obstructions of justice. Same old same old. Let's just fast forward to when I could leave, stripped raw for yet another morning. Stick a fork in her, she's done.

While we were on our way to our late breakfast Jacob said he had a quick errand at one of the hotels, someone had left a package for him from one of the university conferences held there on the weekend. He said it might take a few minutes to track it down and I should come in and I can wander a bit in the shops in the lobby so I don't have to sit outside and breathe exhaust fumes (translation: I don't leave you alone anymore, ever. Which is okay, I was happy to keep him company).

Okay.

He poked around a bit, I suggested twice that he just go to the reception desk and ask, but he winked at me and went and poked his head in the piano bar that this hotel is famous for.

Oh, yeah, here it is. Just a minute, Bridge.

I turned to study some pretty blown glass in a window and then I heard him again,

Hey, princess, can you come in here for a second? I want you to see something.

Sure.


I followed him into the bar. It was empty, save for four people in the corner with instruments, I registered a drum kit, piano, saxophone, guitar. They nodded and smiled politely and I smiled in return.

Jake! There's a band practicing. Maybe we shouldn't be in here.

They're here for us, princess.


They started playing and Jacob asked for my hand and then I noticed the song was familiar. I was just about to tell him I knew it was Billy Joel when he started to sing.

Because this extraordinary man doesn't have a lick of self-consciousness in him, I didn't miss a word. He sings beautifully, nice and loud. He should have been a rock star.

    Don't go changing, to try and please me,
    You never let me down before,
    Don't imagine you're too familiar,
    And I don't see you anymore.

    I would not leave you in times of trouble,
    We never could have come this far,
    I took the good times, I'll take the bad times,
    I'll take you just the way you are.

    Don't go trying some new fashion,
    Don't change the colour of your hair,
    You always have my unspoken passion,
    Although I might not seem to care.

    I don't want clever conversation,
    I never want to work that hard,
    I just want someone that I can talk to,
    I want you just the way you are.

    I need to know that you will always be
    The same old someone that I knew,
    What will it take till you believe in me,
    The way that I believe in you?

    I said I love you, and that's forever,
    And this I promise from the heart,
    I couldn't love you any better,
    I love you just the way you are.

    I don't want clever conversation,
    I never want to work that hard,
    I just want someone that I can talk to,
    I want you just the way you are.


The absence of any self-consciousness failed to prevent his voice breaking on the very last two lines and so he whisper-sang them again, which I have come to love more than anything in the world and we stopped and shared a long, very sweet kiss before turning to applaud the band who bowed and then politely clapped for us.

We wound up doing bagels on the run, as we ran out of time and had to head back to pick up the children for lunch. I, of course, had the crow-flavored bagel, bested once again by Jacob, who puts my petulance in perspective against the Big Picture with his gentle demonstrations of how much he loves me and how much faith he has in us.

I think any doubts I had remaining got carried away this morning on the lilting notes of the saxophone. That or they simply vanished into thin air when I slid my hands down until they rested on Jacob's marble biceps and I rested my head against his chest so that I could feel his voice, being oh so careful not to disrupt his heart, which beats on his sleeve for me and is the strongest, most delicate work of art ever made by God. Completely unprotected and yet completely safe, like his iron wings. We're a study in contrasts and he's asking for so little and I make it so complicated. That stops here.

    I just want someone that I can talk to,
    I want you just the way you are.


Now please don't pinch me, I'm keeping this feeling.

Keeping it.

Forever.